Valery Mahuchy was born in Belarus in 1959 and graduated from the Sculpture Department of
the Academy of the Arts in Minsk in 1988. He has been a member of the Belarusian Artists’
Union since 1995. Valery has participated in solo and group exhibits in Vitebsk, Minsk, Moscow,
St. Petersburg and Germany. His work is displayed in museums and private collections in
Belarus, America, Israel, Germany, France, Russia and the Ukraine.
Life as a Sculptor
I didn’t choose my path in life. I always knew what I would be – or rather what I would become.
When adults asked me about it even at my early age I invariably answered – an artist. This I
knew but could not explain what was meant by it. There was no one belonging to the sphere of
art either in my family circle or the environment where I spent my years of childhood.
From my childhood, I remember one episode in the slightest detail as the brightest impression
of my life. I was 3 years old. My parents bought me a box of plasticine. I opened the cover –
there, on one side lay some edged bars, on the other side – already molded little animals and
birds. I remember that summer day. At the time, it was a sensation of miracle and this sensation
is still present in my memory.
Since that time, always when I take plasticine or clay in my hands the same feelings arise. The
process of plastic creative activities makes this world bright and unordinary for me.
Sculpture is my whole life, it is what I am anxious about in this reality, what I am eager to talk
about and to share with people. Sculpture, by its form, plastic and three-dimensional nature,
brings understanding of the fact that life has more characteristics, that it is versatile, beautiful,
permeated with high spirituality. Many phenomena of our life, which seems to be casual and
simple, turn out to have deep meaning. And naivety sometimes masks the truth which I am trying
to approach through sculpture.
I was not born into a family of artists. It was divine providence that underlaid this fact. The
process of my formation was long. Nobody swept out stones from under my feet on this road,
which I am sincerely grateful for.
I returned to Vitebsk in 1988 just after graduation from Belarus State Theatre and Art Institute in
Minsk (now the Academy of Arts). My diploma reads; a sculptor, an artist, a teacher. I spent
twenty years creating in Vitebsk before coming to America. My understanding of interaction
between monumental and decorative forms and urban surroundings came from my time in
● Sculpture Department of the Academy of the Fine Art in Minsk, Belarus
● The winner of an international competition for a monument to the eternal memory of
soldiers in Moscow, Russia
● The winner of a republican competition for a monument to the war heroes in Orsha,
● The winner of the competition for a monument to the Battle Grunewald in 1410 in
● The winner of the competition for a monument to the artist Kazimir Malevich in Vitebsk,
● Author prize of the International Art Festival, Slavic Bazaar in Vitebsk, Belarus
● The winner of the Republican competition for the equestrian statue of Prince Olgerd in
● Was awarded the Jubilee Medal 20 years International Festival of Arts Slavic Bazaar in
● Donated 20 copyright sculptures to the city of Vitebsk, Belarus
● “Sculpture, Medals” in Vitebsk, Belarus
● “Wood-Straw” in Vitebsk, Belarus
● “Neportretny Portrait” in Vitebsk, Belarus
● “Exhibition Valery Mahuchy” in Vitebsk, Belarus
● “Skulpturen” in Marklohe, Germany
● “Mahuchy and a Family” in Vitebsk, Belarus
● “Metaphysics Form” in St. Petersburg, Russia
● “Famous People of Belarus” in Vitebsk, Belarus
● “120 Anniversary of the Artist M Chagall”
● “From Realism to Modernism” in Vitebsk, Belarus
● “Gift the City of Vitebsk” in Vitebsk, Belarus
● “The 40th Anniversary of the Belarusian State Theatre and Art Institute” in Minsk,
● “The artist and the Environment” in Minsk, Belarus
● “To the 500th Anniversary of F. Skorina” in Minsk, Belarus
● “Search and Experiment” in Minsk, Belarus
● “Humanity and Faith” Minsk, Belarus
● “The 50th Anniversary of the Liberation of Belarus” in Minsk, Belarus
● “Conceptual Art” in Vitebsk, Minsk, and Pskov, Belarus, Russia
● “Artists of Vitebsk and Vitebsk Region” in Minsk, Belarus
● “Frankfurt on the Oder – Vitebsk”
● “Frankfurt on the Oder – Germany”
● Schoenheit Verschiedener Vormen.” in Loceum, Germany
● “Spring of Vitebsk” in Minsk, Belarus
● “Art Without Borders” in Vitebsk, Russia
● “Second International Moscow Biennale of Contemporary Art, The Project”
● “Belarus-Modern” in Nienburg, Germany
● “Artists of Vitebsk- 70th Anniversary of the Area” in Vitebsk, Belarus
● “Marah Couts” in Minsk, Belarus
● “The Best” in Vitebsk, Belarus
● The Gift of Sculpture, New England Sculptors Association, Juried Member Show, 42 Maple Gallery, Contemporary Art Center, Bethlehem, NH, December 4th – 28th
● The Gallery at WREN Small Works Show, December 2 – January 2, Bethlehem,NH,
● NESA at Hess Gallery, Pine Manor College, Chestnut Hill, MA “ The Nature Show”, September 2016
● NESA at Lewis Gallery, Portland Public Library, Portland, ME, “Forms, Figures & Fantastical”, August 5th – September 2nd
● NESA, Centennial Visions, 50 Artists in Three Parks, Saint – Gaudens National Historical Park, Cornish, NH & Marsh – Billings – Rockefeller National Historical Park, Woodstock, VT, June 4th – August 22
● Greater Meredith Programs, 3rd Annual Meredith Sculpture Walk, Meredith, NH, July 2016 – June 2017
● The Gallery at WREN, The Artists of Texture Line and Color, Annual Spring WREN Member Show, April 1st – 28th
“Chagall and Vitebsk”. Photo album. Minsk, Belarus.2013.ISBN 9789857047130.
“Modern Belarusian Sculpture XXI centure.” Minsk, Belarus.2013. ISBN 9789857047130
Who is Who. Designed inside and out. Directory of Belarusian Union of Designers.
Minsk, Belarus. 2008. ISBN 9789856334211.
Modern Belarusian Sculpture 1984-2004 period. The Album directory. Minsk,
A.Alekseev, A. Lukashevich. “Heritage of Belarus”. Minsk, Belarus. 2005. ISBN
“Union Creators.” Catalogue.2005. Minsk, Belarus.
“Belarusian Union of Artists.” Reference book.Minsk.Belarus.1998.ISBN 9856427096